Mediator and Arbitrator: Commercial | Construction | Business
Building on 30+ years of business experience,
Mike Haney brings his problem-solving skills
and collaborative approach to clients and parties
struggling to resolve complex issues and disputes.
Mike Haney has advised manufacturing, energy, private equity, finance and service companies regarding strategic issues, operations improvement and dispute resolution. In addition to consulting roles at leading advisory firms, he successfully started up several new ventures and worked in energy, manufacturing and investment banking firms.
- Major oil and gas companies
- National oil companies
- Manufacturing firms
- Private equity firms
- Professional services
- Healthcare providers
- Integrated oil companies
- Startup / new ventures
- Investment banking
- Mediation Training: University of Houston Law Center, A.A. White Dispute Resolution Center
- Arbitration Training: Manousso Mediation and Arbitration
- Miller Heiman Strategic/Conceptual Selling
- Building Strategic Customer Relationships
- Operational Excellence & Performance Improvement
- Lean Six Sigma
- Financial Statement Analysis
- Oil Refinery Linear Programming Modeling
- Performance Dashboards & KPIs
- Gottman Institute: Seven Principles for Making Marriage Work Leader Training
- Stepfamily Foundation of America
Relevant Professional Experience:
- 30+ years advising clients & companies on strategic business issues and decision-making
- Strategic advisor and consultant across the oil & gas, chemicals and manufacturing sectors
- Completed dozens of high-profile advisory projects involving negotiations & strategic change
- Construction & construction products manufacturing experience
- Investment banking and project finance experience: healthcare and energy sectors
- Software development, e-commerce and broadband network experience
- Successful startup entrepreneur, founding software development & professional services firms
- Frequent speaker at energy industry events, including the Offshore Technology Conference, Society for Underwater Technology, Brazil Subsea Vessel Conference and others
- Published articles in both the Journal of Petroleum Technology and Offshore Magazine
- International experience in Algeria, Peru, Colombia, Belgium, Saudi Arabia, Brazil, Canada, South Korea, UK, France, Mexico, Qatar, Australia, and Bolivia, among others
- Elected official overseeing $600+ million in appraised value of property, while lowering tax rates
Representative Capital Project Experience:
Helped a large oilfield services client plan and justify a significant manufacturing capacity expansion. Led efforts to quantify the client’s current casing equipment capacity, forecast future product demand, and develop strategies to most effectively meet that new demand. Used a detailed supply chain model to predict precise capacity needs on an individual machine workstation and raw material supplier basis. Led efforts to plan the move of the client’s existing technology center, including hiring and training new people and creating the right methods to transfer extensive product knowledge. The client used the results of this work to justify construction of a new $100+ million manufacturing plant.
Developed a detailed risk assessment for an oilfield tool manufacturer’s plans to build new plants and shift existing production to different facilities. Created and implemented a method for collecting, analyzing, prioritizing and summarizing key risks, and developed risk mitigation strategies for relevant risks. Created RFP for new manufacturing facility construction. Developed and presented key deliverables to client. The client used the results of the risk assessment and other analyses to support its plans to significantly reshape its worldwide manufacturing assets.
A large North African NOC needed help developing its upstream and midstream investment strategy. Mike developed a strategic forecasting model to see the interactions between increasing oilfield production and limited energy transportation and distribution infrastructure. The model portrayed existing and proposed infrastructure in field production, pipelines, internal demand, and export capabilities. The client used the model to prioritize future capex and find the most profitable strategic options for its oil and gas production.
The World Bank was concerned with the long-term viability of a state-owned Caribbean refinery. Mike’s analysis reviewed the effect of multiple factors, including how state-set petroleum product prices compared to market levels. He developed a linear programming model of the refinery to better understand its conversion capabilities and potential in multiple subsidy scenarios. The Bank used this work to negotiate financing terms for current and proposed loans to the country.
A major manufacturer of comprehensive systems and components for the oil and gas industry engaged to complete an FPSO market analysis project addressing whether the same types of integrated, standardized approaches the company has used in the drillship market will address the needs of the FPSO sector. Through analysis and interviews with market participants we tested several key business hypotheses related to FPSO project delays, leasing challenges, and potential for standardization. As a follow up to the project we developed additional content related to the findings and published a “white paper” on integration and standardization trends in the FPSO sector. These materials will help the client build its case with potential customers to develop FPSOs faster and more efficiently.
A mid-sized E&P company needed strategic help renegotiating its crude oil sales agreement with its South American host country’s NOC. Mike used LP modeling, netback analyses and logistics tools to fully value the client’s crude based on local refinery capabilities and develop a comprehensive valuation strategy. The client used the results of this work to negotiate a favorable price for its crude.
Education and Association Memberships:
MBA, The University of Texas at Austin
Bachelor of Science in Mechanical Engineering, Rice University
Bachelor of Arts in Managerial Studies, Rice University
Association for Conflict Resolution – Houston Chapter
Texas Association of Mediators
Texas Mediator Credentialing Association
Society of Petroleum Engineers
Elected Board Member, Local Utility District
Association of Water Board Directors, Texas
5900 Memorial Drive, Suite 218
Houston, Texas 77007
United States of America
Telephone: (713) 364-2329